I often wonder: if hard space is more or less unlimited, why are we not constantly snapping photos, video, and recording audio? For example, why don't we:
- email our parents who live far away with video of what our garden looks like?
- send our friend a picture of an outfit from the dressing room when we need that extra nudge to buy something cute?
- use video conferencing rather than calling?
- record a song we like so we can look up the lyrics later or ask our music genius friend'what is that crazy instrument?'
- We are still stuck in a mindset that space is limited. In other words, you don't "waste" video on something that won't be treasured for years to come.
- We balk at filling up terabyte drives with our own drivel because we are already using facebook for that very purpose.
- It's hard enough organizing real family photos into albums why create even more content that we'll then have to organize, maintain or otherwise manage?
- We haven't yet absorbed the fact that our phones are really powerful computers. We can not yet fully take advantage of what our phones can do for us.
- We don't want to seem weird. I mean, everyones already on their phone all the time and sometimes when you take a picture in a store (like me in See's Candy yesterday) you don't want to feel awkward after you are told that photos aren't allowed.
- Privacy. We don't want our embarrassing outfit that really wasn't flattering showing up on fail.com.
Think & discuss. If you have any other additions to these "why don't we" examples please comment!